With an expanded number of people wishing to have an independent and active lifestyle after retirement, the number of active retirement communities has expanded manifold over the past few years. As these communities offer various aged care facilities suited for the golden years, without making the elder’s compromise on their independence and privacy, many individuals are booking their seats in advance at such communities to make the most of their post-retirement phase to the fullest.
Most elders feel their day by day tasks turning into a major trouble as they age. Starting from doing the laundry, washing the dishes, to going for the doctor’s check-up, purchasing grocery, these elders frequently wish if they could have help for doing these chores and yet live on their own terms. This is where independent living communities offer the perfect solution.
By offering seniors a residence fitted with cutting edge amenities, and taking care of their health/medical needs, these communities give a sense of peace and security, where the elders no longer need to stress over what might happen if they slip or fall or have a sudden heart attack. No wonder that this sense of being safe and secure lets them live to the fullest.
If you are still in a dilemma as to what such active retirement communities offer, here’s a sneak peek:
- Single/double bedroom apartments with independent kitchen, bathroom, fridge, etc., which gives you the flexibility of living life on your own terms.
- Rooms with climate controls, blinds, drapes, patio, solarium, and much more.
- Provision to have your own treasures, memorabilia and furniture etc.
- A modern safety system, which incorporate fire alerts, smoke detectors, CCTVs etc.
- Daily/weekly check-ups with doctors to ensure that all residents are fit and healthy; this turns out to be helpful for elders with pre-existing medical conditions as the slightest threat can be detected early on and treated at the earliest.
- Staff that’s available 24×7 to help/take care of your issues/needs.
- Various activities to keep the residents active – both physically and mentally.
- Social activities such as swimming pools, games etc. to make new companions and feel good.
- Provision to invite family/friends on special events and have meals with them.
- Special facilities/activities to help physically challenged individuals.
Some independent living communities even proceed to provide value-added facilities like:
- Provision to appoint individual health care agent who can make health decision under special circumstances for the elder’s behalf. This could involve decisions regarding clinics, doctors, surgery, and much more.
- Provision to choose a loved one for taking financial decisions on the elder’s behalf with a power of attorney.
- Experts to counsel with reading financial planning, hospital visits and medications for various health care issues.
- Various types of rehab facilities such as speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and much more.
- Skilled nursing aid for older people who require intensive treatments and to help people who are recovering after a major surgery/treatment.
- No big surprise that a range of such facilities offered by retirement living communities has made the future of many seniors very secure, encouraging them to look forward to an active life after retirement.
Whether you prefer modern assisted living communities or the comfort of residential care homes, you’ll find real senior living reviews and advice you can trust on Aged Advisor NZ.